Wilderness Mentoring Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cow parsnip

Go down

Cow parsnip Empty Cow parsnip

Post by Silthana Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Hey, I thought everyone would enjoy a little story on the effects of a very common roadside field plant when on your skin.
It's called cow parsnip, and I've been watching it for almost two years now. It has a bright window of time during the early summer when it flourishes, then it starts losing color, juice and potency fairly steadily, with the occasional exceptional plant (second growth?).

On Friday the 11th of July, my left wrist came into enthusiastic contact with a large cow parsnip stem and flower cluster.
It was just after a rain, so everything was wet and there were many clouds, not too much sunlight.

The next morning, I woke up with a noticeable redness to my wrist and a slight soreness. I left to go camping with some kids in the National Forest. During the day, my skin got a bit redder, and whenever I passed by a fire, it got more sore.
The next morning, there was a crack in my skin, from which yellow fluid was seeping.

This is what my hand looks like normally. Of course, with the other one, the thumb is on the other side.
Cow parsnip DSCN1192
This is what my left hand looked like by late afternoon on Sunday about 36 hours after exposure.
Cow parsnip DSCN1193
Notice the dramatic swelling obvious in this picture.
Cow parsnip DSCN1194
This is about two hours later. Come evening, changes in condition would get fairly rapid.
Cow parsnip DSCN1195
A little over 2 hours later.
Cow parsnip DSCN1196
I soaked my arm in a big bucket of water, slippery elm, salt, and goldenseal.
Cow parsnip DSCN1197
Cow parsnip DSCN1198
Cow parsnip DSCN1199
Cow parsnip DSCN1200
The following few shots are of my arm Sunday night.
Cow parsnip DSCN1201
Cow parsnip DSCN1202
Cow parsnip DSCN1203
That night I put aloe vera mixed with goldenseal on my arm. After that I would put on some vitamin E and wrap it all up like an overjuicy cloth burrito.
Cow parsnip DSCN1206
Cow parsnip DSCN1207
This is just about the end of Sunday night. It brings me great displeasure to find that all of my pictures are cut off on the right side. There is a magnificent bubble just out of the frame on most of these pictures.
Cow parsnip DSCN1208
Cow parsnip DSCN1209
Cow parsnip DSCN1202-1
These show what my hand looked like the next afternoon when I got back from a program. Again, I cannot figure out how to have the entire photo displayed, so the worst looking part of the hand is obscured here.
Cow parsnip DSCN1210
Cow parsnip DSCN1211
Cow parsnip DSCN1212
And then two days later, the swelling finally started going down, and the bubbles started deflating.
Cow parsnip DSCN1213
Cow parsnip DSCN1214
The massive bubble at the front of my hand just started falling.
Cow parsnip DSCN1215
Throughout the entire time, the spot which first cracked open up in my hand Sunday morning was a dark recognizable spot.
Cow parsnip DSCN1216
All of a sudden the next day, all the inflation which had characterized my hand that week just vanished leaving thin wrinkles where the bubbles used to be and lots of dying skin.
Cow parsnip DSCN1217
Cow parsnip DSCN1218
Cow parsnip DSCN1219
Cow parsnip DSCN1220
Cow parsnip DSCN1221
Cow parsnip DSCN1222
Cow parsnip DSCN1223
Cow parsnip DSCN1224
It looked just a little different in the evening.
Cow parsnip DSCN1225
Cow parsnip DSCN1226
Cow parsnip DSCN1227
Cow parsnip DSCN1228
Cow parsnip DSCN1229
Cow parsnip DSCN1230
Cow parsnip DSCN1231
And then the next day, the burn having run it's course, the skin continued to decay.
Cow parsnip DSCN1232
Cow parsnip DSCN1233
Cow parsnip DSCN1234
Cow parsnip DSCN1235
Cow parsnip DSCN1237
A day later all the dead skin began to harden, showing a few cracks. The soft new baby skin underneath can be see around the edges of the hard dying plates of skin.
Cow parsnip DSCN1238
Cow parsnip DSCN1239
The next afternoon, the dead stuff started to peel off around the edges.
Cow parsnip DSCN1240
Cow parsnip DSCN1241
Cow parsnip DSCN1242
And then a day later it continued to progress, but slowly.
Cow parsnip DSCN1244
Cow parsnip DSCN1245
Cow parsnip DSCN1246
Cow parsnip DSCN1247
Cow parsnip DSCN1248
Finally, the next day, the stiff matter started to lift off.
Cow parsnip DSCN1249
Cow parsnip DSCN1250
Cow parsnip DSCN1251
Cow parsnip DSCN1252

Cow parsnip DSCN1257

Cow parsnip DSCN1260
Cow parsnip DSCN1261
Late that night, it finally got loose enough that I could tug it off. I'm holding the piece in my hand in this photo, but it's cut off. I apologize. It looks like a bug, take my word for it.
Cow parsnip DSCN1262
Cow parsnip DSCN1263

Cow parsnip DSCN1264
And so I'm left with new skin the next morning which is sensitive, and surrounded by scar-like matter, but healthy.
Cow parsnip DSCN1265
24 hours later and still healing.
Cow parsnip DSCN1274
Cow parsnip DSCN1266
Here is the very plant that I burned myself by two weeks earlier.
Cow parsnip DSCN1285
Cow parsnip DSCN1286
Cow parsnip DSCN1287

It burned constantly for the first 48 hours after blistering, and then it died down. Dropping the hand below my waist caused the blood to flow down into the area and inflame it. At one point I performed a dive roll without bursting any of the bubbles. That's about all I have to say to finish this off, hope you enjoy and learn something from this.
Some forgiveness must be given for the photo quality and the forced trimming.

Silthana

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum