Wilderness Mentoring Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fisher Sighting in Ithaca NY

2 posters

Go down

Fisher Sighting in Ithaca NY Empty Fisher Sighting in Ithaca NY

Post by Matt Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:28 pm

I just have to share this story with you all...my girlfriend and I were hiking at this reservoir and preserve near where we live in Ithaca NY. It was right around sunset when we decided to sit on a log to enjoy a nice view of the forest and gorge surrounding us. Shortly after we sat down we noticed some birds in the sky- a red-tailed hawk was being harassed by a group of crows. We watched the birds for about 5 minutes and then my girl friend suddenly pointed up to a huge white pine about 30 yards away and quietly exclaimed "what is that?!" About 50 ft up the white pine was a rather large mammal climbing out to the very tips of the branch it was on. I had never seen anything like this before...this animal was basically going to places on the branch where i previously thought only squirrels and birds would dare go. Very carefully and meticulously the creature made its way to the tip of the branch and appeared to be reaching for something before turning around and heading back towards the thicker/safer part of the branch where the branch joins the main portion of the tree. We still had no clue what kind of animal we were witnessing. After carefully making it to the main portion of the tree the creature started climbing down the tree head first (from at least 50 ft in the air mind you). At this point we were able to get a very good view of the animal. It was quite dark in color (blackish/brownish). The animal was quite large (bigger than a good-sized house cat) and was pretty fury. We could see its ears and somewhat pointy nose/snout. We were shocked how this sizable animal could maneuver down the white pine head first so easily and comfortably. Midway down the tree, the animal decided to adjust its position. It went behind the tree momentarily, and when it appeared again, it was coming down the tree tail-first (like you would expect from a large animal high up in a tree). We watched it climb down the tree for about 5 minuets (it made it down half way head-first, and then made it down the rest of the way tail-first). When it reached the ground at the base of the tree, it started coming in our direction! By this time, dusk had set in so it probably didn't see us which is why it started coming at us. However, in a matter of seconds, the animal turned around and ran in the opposite direction deep into the forest (we think it finally caught our scent). The animal walked/ran pretty low to the ground as it scampered away from us. We were left dumb-founded and in disbelief over what we had just watched for the last 5 minuets.
Back at our apartment, my girlfriend and I talked about what we had seen and tried to piece together all the characteristics and features of the animal. One of the most important things we noted was that the animal was in a white pine tree, and it climbed down the tree head first from at least 50 feet in the air. After researching the different characteristics of tree climbing mammals that can be found in New York State, we concluded that we had seen a Fisher. Fishers can be identified by their ability to climb down trees head first. They also have the ability to pivot there legs 180 degrees (which explains how the animal could adjust from head first to tail first halfway down the tree).

Thanks for reading my Fisher story. Most naturalists seem to believe my story, but I am always looking for feedback, input, and insight relating to fishers and to my story. Please feel free to comment and inquire.

Matt
Primitive Pursuits Instructor

Last edited by on Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Matt

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2007-09-21

Back to top Go down

Fisher Sighting in Ithaca NY Empty Re: Fisher Sighting in Ithaca NY

Post by Bird Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:03 am

Wow, cool story! Was this along Six Mile Creek?

I found a site that talks about fishers climbing down trees: http://www.environmentyukon.gov.yk.ca/fisher.html

"A fisher climbing up a tree can swivel around and descend head first, just like a squirrel. Unsheathed claws enable it to grasp the tree trunk. Its extremely mobile hind limbs are able to rotate 180 degrees."

Thanks for sharing.

Bird

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Back to top Go down